Professional Dog Trainers Program: How to Apply
We currently run two intakes per year. Start dates are always within the last week of March and in mid-September.
- Applicants must be 18 or older or have completed high school.
- Applicants must provide two letters of reference, from anyone other than friends, family or co-workers. Reference suggestions include Employers, University Professors, College Instructors, High School Teachers, Team Leaders (ie church, sports and volunteer organizations).
- Applicants must be physically fit and demonstrate good communication skills.
- Applicants must complete an Application for Admission and an interview. The interview can be done in person, by telephone or by email.
- Foreign students must demonstrate a good understanding of the English language both spoken and written.
- Applicants must watch the first five video clips on our website to gain a better understanding of our training philosophies and methods.
- Applicants must carefully read through the Course Curriculum page on our website to determine that the curriculum covered meets the applicant’s career objectives.
The following are not requirements, but are definite assets for a career as a Professional Dog Trainer:
- Animal experience (especially horses)
- Work in the dog/pet care industry (pet shop, kennel, groomer, vet tech)
- Previous dog training experience (obedience, confirmation, flyball, agility, schutzhund, tracking, retrieving etc)
- Public speaking experience
- Business experience
- Sales and or marketing experience
- Typing, bookkeeping and accounting and computer experience
- Advertising, graphic art or web design experience
- Any physically demanding previous employment such as police, fire, military etc.
- A love for the outdoors
- An outgoing personality with a sense of humour!
Click Here to Download Application in PDF Format
Please note that your non-refundable application fee of $250 must accompany your application in order for it to be processed. Applicants are taken on a first come, first served basis so apply early to ensure your space.
Applicants have 3 options to submit their application:
Scan and send as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the BEST option.
Fax it to 250-389-1138. NEW! Because of the unreliability of faxing, we would prefer that you email your application in. If you need to fax your application, please call or email with an exact time you plan to submit it so we can ensure it arrives safely.
Mail it to us! Our full mailing address is located on our contact us page.
If you have not received a reply from us within 4 days of submitting your application (8 days if by mail), please follow up as we may not have received it.
Visit our Loans and Grants page for information on how you may be able to get help with paying your tuition.